Here’s the news that we’ve been waiting, and working, and praying for!!!
A panel of three superior court judges has ruled, unanimously, that North Carolina’s legislative election districts are unconstitutional due to extreme partisan gerrymandering and has ordered the North Carolina General Assembly to draw new legislative districts by September 18, 2019 without regard to any partisan or political factors (other than pitting incumbents against each other).
But wait! There’s more good news!
Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger has said that he will not appeal the decision to the North Carolina Supreme Court and will honor and comply with the court’s decision! And the judges have said that they will take whatever action is necessary in order to ensure that the legislature complies with their order and that new, nonpartisan legislative districts are in place for the 2020 elections.
But then let’s get back to work because the battle to end partisan gerrymandering forever isn’t over.
- Tell Senator Berger and other Republican legislative leaders that they need to include Democrats and the public in the process of drawing new legislative districts.
- Tell Senator Berger and Republican legislators that they need to join with Democrats to end partisan gerrymandering forever by passing S 673 which would create an independent, citizen-led redistricting commission that would take away the power of both Democrats and Republicans to engage in partisan gerrymandering.
- Urge your state Senator and Representative to support and pass S 673.
- Join UU Forward Together’s Voting Rights and Democracy Justice Action Team.
- Get involved with You Can Vote.