The 2020 election is just over one year away and what we do between now and then will determine our political future here in North Carolina and in the US for years to come.
The stakes are as high as they’ve ever been. Our democracy, voting rights, health care, the reproductive rights of women, and state and federal policies regarding gun safety, immigration, the environment, and more all hang in the balance.
That’s why launching a new Democracy Action Team (read more below) will be one Forward Together’s major goals during the coming year–and we need to get started on it right away.
Please click here to join us for a video call at 7:30 pm on October 20, 2019 to learn more about UU Forward Together’s new Democracy Action Team and what UUs in North Carolina can do during the coming year to protect and expand voting rights, end gerrymandering, and get out the vote in 2020.
Topic: Democracy Justice Action Team
Time: Oct 20, 2019 07:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/180392754
One tap mobile: +19294362866,,180392754# US (New York) +16699006833,,180392754# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location: +1 929 436 2866 US (New York) +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 180392754
What Are Forward Together Justice Action Teams?
Forward Together justice action teams are grassroots, volunteer-led, and volunteer-directed state-wide teams that plan, organize, and lead UU Forward Together’s work with respect to a specific justice issue (like voting rights and democracy), including
- communicating with and mobilizing UUs and UU congregations in NC,
- establishing state-wide partnerships with other organizations,
- providing resources and support for NC UU congregations, and
- engaging NC UUs and UU congregations in witness, advocacy, lobbying, and direct action.
Each Forward Together justice action team will
- consist of a team leader (or two co-leaders) and at least eight to twelve active, committed, and passionate team members who are affiliated with at least three UU congregations;
- act under the authority of and be accountable to UU Forward Together;
- receive support and assistance from UU Forward Together (including financial assistance);
- meet regularly via teleconference and communicate regularly via email;
- develop and implement an annual justice action plan that includes goals, strategies, and activities (including education, training, witness, advocacy, direct action, publicity, communications, congregational involvement, and relationships with other social justice organizations); and
- submit an annual report of its activities to UU Forward Together.